School VS. Job

School VS. Job

Nearly a third of students work a part time job in the school year. This can be challenging for students trying to manage their time between school and work. Getting a job in itself is a big responsibility, so it’s important that students stay on track with school work. We admire our classmates that work hard inside and outside school. We asked a couple of students questions about this. Let’s hear from them.

D. A. : What’s the hardest part about working while still being in school?

Britney Cua: “The hardest part for me is probably keeping up with my schoolwork. It takes up all my time in the day and I have to do it after work. At that time I get really tired. I’m not able to finish my homework and have to turn it in late at times.”

D. A.: How do you manage your time?

Britney Cua: “I recently bought a planner because I struggled with my schedule, and once I used it, it helped me by having time for the things I needed to do. Which motivated me more.”

D. A.: What have you learned from working?

Britney Cua: “Multi-tasking, communication, responsibilities, and it matured me.”

D. A.: What are the pros and cons about working?

Britney Cua: “The pros are that I get to help my family out. I also learn how to deal with money. It keeps me busy, and I am becoming more independent. The cons are that it’s tiring. It was kind of hard to get used to the working environment since it’s my first job. Since I work out, I don’t really have much time to stay active.”

D. A.: Did you have to pick to work over sports?

Britney Cua: “Yes, I was going to do XC this year, but I wanted to help my family out a little bit and decided to get a job. Once soccer starts, I’m going to change my availability for work, so I have time to focus on soccer.”

L. R.: What’s the hardest part about working while still being in school?

Ana Organista: “Catching up on homework.”

L. R.: How do you manage your time?

Ana Organista: “I set reminders on my phone to make sure I’m caught up on everything.”

L. R.: What have you learned from working?

Ana Organista: “I learned how to work better with a team.”

L. R.: What are the pros and cons about working?

Ana Organista: “The pros are that I get to learn new things while working and my cons will be having bad experience in the workplace.”

L. R.: Did you have to pick to work over sports?

Ana Organista: “No, because I started working to be more independent and help my family out.”

B. C.: What’s the hardest part about working while still being in school?

Omar Lara: “We have a lot of schoolwork and I play sports.”

B. C.: How do you manage your time?

Omar Lara: “I started to work on the weekends, so it’s easier to manage.”

B. C.: What have you learned from working?

Omar Lara: “I learned that it’s hard to do a bunch of things while having a job.”

B. C.: What are the pros and cons about working?

Omar Lara: “The pros are that you earn money, and the cons are that you have less time to do stuff.”

B. C.: Did you have to pick to work over sports?

Omar Lara: “No, because I choose sports.”

This tells us that students in Gordon Central sometimes struggle to keep up with their school work because of their jobs, but they still manage to have time for the things they need to get done.