Damar Hamlin

Damar Hamlin

holly bohannon

On January 2, 2023, during a Week 17 Monday Night Football game against the Cincinnati Bengals, Hamlin collapsed on the field after tackling wide receiver Tee Higgins and required immediate emergency medical treatment. At the start of the play, Higgins caught a pass by Joe Burrow near the 50-yard line and ran downfield while leading with his right shoulder, which collided against Hamlin’s chest. As the defender, Hamlin made a tackle by wrapping his arms around Higgins’ shoulders and helmet to bring him down to the ground. Sports commentators described the tackle as seemingly routine while noting the jarring nature of the contact. Following the play, Hamlin stood up momentarily before passing out and falling backwards.

Hamlin remained motionless at midfield while team trainers and paramedics rushed to his side within ten seconds. First responders initiated CPR, automated external defibrillation (AED) and other treatments to Hamlin on the field for ten minutes. Hamlin was eventually administered oxygen and an intravenous solution (IV). An ambulance was brought onto the field about four minutes after his collapse for more assistance. As he was being placed on a stretcher, most of the players from both teams came off the sidelines to kneel or stand on the field near him, visibly upset and emotional about his status.

After being transported by ambulance to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center at roughly 9:23 p.m. EST, he was reported to be in critical condition and was intubated. Later that night at 1:48 a.m. local time, the Bills reported that Hamlin had initially suffered cardiac arrest and his heartbeat was restored on-field. There has been a “remarkable improvement” in the health of Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin, his team said Thursday, with doctors saying the player’s “neurological condition and function is intact. The player is demonstrating signs of “good neurologic recovery as well as overall clinical improvement,” UC Health Dr. William Knight told reporters. Doctors emphasized multiple times that Hamlin has a “ways to go.”

He’ll need to start breathing on his own, and taking him off a ventilator will be a cautious, gradual process. UC Health Dr. Timothy Pritts said it’s too soon to say for sure whether he’ll make a full recovery. Loved ones at Hamlin’s bedside have been able to hold his hand and communicate with him through written messages, though the player isn’t speaking. Doctors said he even asked if the Bills had won the game. The doctors said tests are still underway to determine what caused the medical emergency and that there are no “definitive answers” at this time. Doctors thanked community members for holding vigils, sending food to the hospital and lighting Cincinnati in the Bills’ red and blue.

Damar Romeyelle Hamlin (born March 24, 1998) is an American football safety for the Buffalo Bills of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at the University of Pittsburgh and was selected by the Bills in the sixth round of the 2021 NFL Draft. Hamlin spent most of his rookie season as a backup before becoming a starter in 2022. Hamlin was raised in McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania. He attended Central Cathoilc High School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He was named first-team All-State and the Class AAAA Defensive Player of the Year. Hamlin was considered a top cornerback coming out of Central Catholic High School. He was a four-star recruit and was pursued by major college football programs including Pittsburgh, Penn State, Ohio State, and Temple. He selected the Pittsburgh Panthers and played in three games as a freshman before suffering an injury and receiving a medical redshirt exception for that year.

As a redshirt freshman playing in his second year, Hamlin was not back to full health until week three of the football season. Playing the safety position, he recorded 41 tackles with one interception in nine games played. The next year, Hamlin led the Panthers “sniper gang” secondary with 77 tackles and two interceptions as a redshirt sophomore and was named honorable mention All-Atlantic coast Conference (ACC). He would register 84 tackles with 10 passes broken up as a redshirt junior. Going into his final season, Hamlin was a team captain and was named to the All-ACC second-team after leading the Panthers with 66 tackles and seven passes broken up. He earned ACC Co-Defensive Back of the Week honors for his November 21, 2020 game against Virgina Tech. Hamlin earned a bachelor’s degree in communication from the University of Pittsburgh.

TheBuffalo Bills selected Hamlin in the sixth round with the 212th overall pick of the 2021 NFL Draft. He signed his four-year rookie contract with Buffalo on May 21, 2021. After playing a reserve role his first season, Hamlin became one of Buffalo’s starting safeties in 2022 after Micah Hyde suffered a season-ending neck injury in week two. Against the New York Jets in Week nine, Hamlin led the team with 12 tackles and a sack in the 20–17 loss. In Week 13 against the New England Patriots, Hamlin was ejected after an illegal hit on Jakobi Meyers in the 24–10 win. 

The new update on Damar’s condition, A week after suffering a cardiac arrest while playing the Cincinnati Bengals, doctors are hoping Damar is healthy enough to be released from a Buffalo hospital within 24 to 48 hours, Michael Hughes, senior vice president and chief administrative officer at Kaleida Health, told CNN on Tuesday. Doctors are finishing tests and are identifying possible causes of the event, including whether there were any pre-existing conditions that played a role in Hamlin’s January 2 cardiac arrest.

“Hamlin is going through a series of testing and evaluation today,” Kaleida Health said in a statement Tuesday. The Buffalo General Medical Center team will also “potentially treat any pathology that may be found, as well as plan for his recovery, discharge and rehabilitation.”

Hamlin was transferred from a Cincinnati hospital to the Buffalo hospital on Monday after doctors determined his critical condition had improved to good or fair – surpassing expectations.

“We felt that it was safe and proper to help get him back to the greater Buffalo area,” Dr. Timothy Pritts, chief of surgery at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, said Monday.

Hamlin’s parents flew from Cincinnati back home to Pittsburgh but then flew to Buffalo. They were en route Tuesday from the Buffalo Bills’ practice facility and were expected to arrive at the hospital to see Hamlin soon. Hamlin, a second-year NFL player, has been regaining strength over the past several days after his sudden collapse after a tackle against the Bengals in Cincinnati.

“He’s certainly on what we consider a very normal to even accelerated trajectory from the life-threatening event that he underwent,” Pritts said, “but he’s making great progress.” Normal recovery from a cardiac arrest can be measured in weeks to months, Pritts explained. But Hamlin has been beating that timeline at each stage and is neurologically intact. Still, Pritts said it’s too early to say when Hamlin could get back to normal life or what caused his heart to stop, saying more testing is needed. Hamlin was sedated and on a ventilator for days after his cardiac arrest. On Friday morning, the breathing tube was removed, and Hamlin began walking with some help by that afternoon, his doctors said Monday. The safety’s condition was upgraded Monday because his organ systems were stable and he no longer needed intensive nursing or respiratory therapy, doctors said.

“He walks normally,” said Dr. William Knight, a neurovascular critical care expert who treated Hamlin at UC Health. “He is admittedly a little weak. I don’t think that’s of any real surprise after what he went through, just regaining his strength. And that’s part of his recovery process.”

Hamlin’s release Monday meant he could return to Buffalo, which prompted even more encouragement and eagerness for some of his teammates to see him again.

“Super excited that he’s back in Buffalo and what a job that the team of docs and the medical team did out in Cincinnati, and now he’s in great care here in Buffalo. We’re happy to have him back,” Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott told reporters Monday.

After seeing him Monday, McDermott said Hamlin was “tired” but seemed happy. “Happy to be back in Buffalo and around a familiar area to him. I know he’s taking it just one step at a time.”

Hamlin was “beyond excited” Sunday and felt “very supported by the outpouring of love from across the league, especially from the Buffalo area. We’ve learned this week that the Bills mafia is a very real thing,” Pritts added.

source:CNN & Wikipedia