Health Awareness Days

Daphne Agredano, Linsay Rojas, and Britney Cua

As we all know, we will have 3 weeks of 4 day school weeks. Gordon County has informed teachers and students about the health awareness day.

But what exactly is a health awareness day?

Let’s hear from the administration:

First, starting off with Mr. Hall the principal of Gordon Central:

• What is health awareness day about?

“Health Awareness Day is a focused initiative by Superintendent Dr. Kimberly Fraker, the Gordon County Schools Board of Education, and local district leadership to provide students, faculty, and staff opportunities to rest, reflect, and catch up on academics. It is a timely response to the pandemic, identifying a need for our stakeholders to focus on self-care — both mentally and physically.”

• Who made this decision possible?

“The decision was approved by the Gordon County Schools Board of Education at a special called meeting on August 26, 2021.”

• Are we going to have more health awareness days in the future?

“Health Awareness Days are directly linked to the pulse check of our community. If a future need arises, I believe that the school board would consider it as a possible option again. School leaders continue to contact trace and monitor pandemic data, and we are able to remain open and accessible for learning because of our mitigation measures. Gordon Central’s faculty and staff work together to support enhanced cleaning protocols, social distancing when possible, encouraging mask-wearing when unable to distance, and washing hands.”

• How do you think this will benefit the students and the school?

“For our faculty, staff, and students, Friday’s Health Awareness Day will give some much-needed mental health and time to spend with loved ones at home. Self-care is a huge focus for Gordon Central and Gordon County Schools this year, especially with social-emotional learning ang having relationship-building conversations in advisement about finding the positive and dealing with anxiety, stress, and depression. These last two school years have been tough on everyone because of the changes due to the pandemic, but teachers and students alike have met those challenges head-on to continue having success. Gordon Central students accomplished so many wonderful achievements last year, and we can only continue those victories if we can stay motivated, positive, and healthy. I hope that everyone spends Friday thinking about the great people, moments, and goals in his or her life—use that as the foundation for every success you plan to build atop it for this year and beyond.”

Mrs. Massengill – Assistant Principal of Gordon Central:

• What is health awareness day about?

Health awareness day is designed for the students, the faculty, and our staff to just refocus on their health and all wellness and so just recenter ourselves that we can move forward with our school and when we return from the break.”

• Who made this decision possible?

“The health awareness day I believe it was a joint decision by our central office and all of the directors so people who were over buses, over the cafeteria, over students, over instructions that was a joint effort.”

“I do not know the answer to that, but I would imagine if it were successful that it could be something that we’d possibly look into.”

“I think it will give the students a chance to really get caught up on things if they look at any schoolwork they might owe and any of the students who are doing some type of quarantine that might have chance to use that day to get assignments turned in and I think it just gives everyone a chance to step back, focus on what’s important then come back ready to go.”

Mr. Shattuck- Disciplinary Administration of Gordon Central:

• What is health awareness day about?

“My understanding is that it’s a time for everybody with all the stresses of COVID-19 that have been put on the school and how we have to change everything. It’s a day for everybody to just sort of recharge their batteries. Another thing, it helps get away from each other for a while so if there’s any transmissions that are going on, it might help that out and just get ready for trying to get back to basics is the theme of the school year.”

• Who made this decision possible?

“Doctor Fraker. She’s the one that sent the email about Health Awareness day.”

“I’d say it’s going to all depend on numbers of COVID positive cases and if there are any other restrictions put on the school year. I don’t know if it’s possible.” 

We hope that everyone has enjoyed their four day weekend and are looking forward to next week’s Friday off. Make sure to stay safe and take precautions for  COVID-19. Also taking care of your mental and physical health.

GO WARRIORS!!!!

By: Daphne Agredano, Linsay Rojas, Britney Cua