The Student News Site of Gordon Central High School

The Tomahawk

The Tomahawk

The Tomahawk

Polls

What are your Spring Break plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

History Of Thanksgiving

History Of Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November every year. Thanksgiving is based on the colonial Pilgrims 1621 harvest meal. People tend to think thanksgiving is for just gathering around the table with friends and family eating ham, turkey, stuffing, and more but its more than that. It’s a feeling just to be around loved ones. What you eat on table today is not the original food. The original food consists of seafood, venison, onions, carrots, beans, spinach, lettuce, and other greens. In case you and your family want to try the original food here are a couple of recipes.

Venison Roast:

Venison roast
Salt
Pepper
Bacon

Rub the roast with salt and pepper, and place in a large roasting pan, roaster, or Dutch oven. Lay slices of fatty bacon on top of the meat, and bake at 325 degrees for a few hours or until it reaches your desired doneness

Nasaump (thick Native American porridge):

1 ½ cups cornmeal
1 cup berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, or a combination of all three)
½ cup crushed nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, or a combination of all three)
1 quart water
Maple syrup to taste
Combine the cornmeal, berries, crushed nuts, and maple syrup in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes.

Indian Pudding:

2 cups milk
2 cups light cream
2 tablespoons stone ground yellow cornmeal
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
A pinch of ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs, beaten

In a large pan, heat the milk and cream until near boiling point. Gradually add the yellow cornmeal and bring it to a boil, stirring briskly. Stir in sugar, maple syrup, butter, and all the other dry ingredients. Let the mixture cool slightly. Beat in the eggs and pour the batter into a buttered 1 ½ quart baking dish, and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours.

Some interesting facts about Thanksgiving is that the day after thanksgiving is the busiest day of the year for plumbers. Calvin Coolidge was given a live raccoon one thanksgiving. 44 million turkeys were served in the United States in 2017.