The Student News Site of Gordon Central High School

The Tomahawk

The Tomahawk

The Tomahawk

Polls

What are your Spring Break plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

12th Day of Christmas

12th Day of Christmas

“On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love sent to me twelve drummers drumming.” The twelfth day of Christmas is celebrated as Twelfth Night. It is the eve of the Epiphany and the end of the Christmas season. Epiphany is the celebration of when the Three Wise Men arrived to visit the Christ child.

Twelfth Night is a night of celebration and parties signifying the end of the Christmas seasonCentral to the festivities is a King’s Cake. In some places the King’s Cake is baked on the Twelfth Night and served on Epiphany. In other traditions it is eaten on this night. King’s Cake is believed to have originated in France sometime in the 12th century. The cake was made in the shape of a circle to portray the circular route that the Kings took so as not to disclose the location of the Christ child. King’s Cakes were originally made with flour, egg, butter, spices, and sometimes fruit.

A dried bean was baked into the cake and whoever received the piece with the bean in it was considered “King” for the evening. The “King” would choose his “Queen” and both would reign for the evening directing others to do their bidding. Sometime during the Georgian period, circa 1714-1830, a dried pea was added to the cake as well so that the woman who received the pea would then become “Queen”.