The Student News Site of Gordon Central High School

The Tomahawk

The Tomahawk

The Tomahawk

Polls

What are your Spring Break plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

National Polar Bear Day

National Polar Bear Day

National Polar Bear Day, also known as International Polar Bear Day, focuses our attention on conservation efforts and learning more about the fabulous polar bear on February 27th.

Polar bears can reach a height of 9 ft tall and a weight of 1400 pounds. They use their large, slightly webbed front paws to paddle as they swim.  As they are powerful swimmers, some polar bears swim hundreds of miles from land. However, some of the distance may have been covered by floating on sheets of ice.

Polar bears have a warming layer of fat covered by their thick coat of insulating fur, which helps them live in colder environments.

Some organizations use this day to raise awareness of the declining number of polar bears worldwide. Many believe global warming and the consequential loss of their natural habitat threaten these beautiful creatures.  Groups around the world gather together to find ways to make a difference and spread information to others.

HOW TO OBSERVE NATIONAL POLAR BEAR DAY

• Learn more about the polar bear, its environment, and how it lives.
  • Watch a documentary. Try these: Arctic Tale, directed by Sarah Robertson and Adam Ravetch (2007. The White Planet follows Narrated by Jean-Louis Étienne and directed by Thierry Piantanida (2006)
  • Read about polar bears in Ice Walker: A Polar Bear’s Journey through the Fragile Arctic by James Raffan.
  • Support polar bear research and conservation.
  • Use #NationalPolarBearDay to post on social media.

https://www.nationaldaycalendar.com/national-day/national-polar-bear-day-february-27