The Student News Site of Gordon Central High School

The Tomahawk

The Tomahawk

The Tomahawk

Polls

What are your Spring Break plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Mortal Kombat

One of the greatest fighting games of all time.
Mortal Kombat

The Mortal Kombat game series originated in 1992 and was published by the group named Midway. The original game was called “Mortal Kombat” and grew in popularity very quickly. The original game, along with many of the sequels, could be found in arcades all around America. The reason this game franchise gained popularity was because of the games interesting story, gory and violent visuals, the complex button system, and the roster of unique characters that you can play as.

The Story aspect of the games didn’t come out until the thirtieth game called “Mortal Kombat: Deception”. This game was released in 2004. The story added a very interesting change to the game because it had never been introduced. The story mode has been in the game ever since. In 2009 the studio “NetherRealm Studios” gained rights over the franchise. Adding to the story aspect of the game and releasing some DLCs (Down Loadable Content) to the game.

The gore and violence of the Mortal Kombat franchise was very unique. The violence and gore in the game allowed to you beat your opponents to a pulp and/or brutally and bloody defeat your opponents. This gore and violence feature I the game also allowed you to do “Fatalities” and “Brutalities”. These were the special “finishers” you could do after beating your opponent 2-3 times.

The complex button system has been in the game since it first released. You could jump up, forward and backward, while also allowing you to crouch and walk back and forth. You could also press certain buttons to do certain moves like punch, low punch, kick, low kick, upper cut, etc. Another fun feature of the game is that by using your moment buttons and your attack buttons you could preform special moves. This being teleporting to the other end of the screen or shooting a fire ball out of your hand. This was also how you did the “finishing moves”.

Lastly the unique character roster. The character roster has been in the game also since the first release. The roster has a variety of different characters. Sometimes the roster can have 11 characters, and sometimes it can have 21 characters or more. Each character has their own set of special abilities and their own backstory. Another cool feature is that each character has a different interaction with another character. For example Character 1 will have a different interaction with character 2 than character 3 had with character 2.

Mortal Kombat is a very fun game with interesting aspects. The things that make this game so great are its interesting story, gory and violent visuals, complex button system, and unique roster of characters. This is why Mortal Kombat is the greatest fighting game of all time.

Sources:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Mortal-Kombat

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/30/1202863244/how-mortal-kombat-conquered-gaming#:~:text=It%20isn%27t%20just%20the,against%20her%20own%20sister%2C%20Kitana.

https://www.thepopverse.com/mortal-kombat-game-games-order-play-watch-chronological-release