The Student News Site of Gordon Central High School

The Tomahawk

The Tomahawk

The Tomahawk

Polls

What are your Spring Break plans?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Winter Solstice Celebration

Winter Solstice Celebration

This year the Winter Solstice is on December 21, 2023 at 10:27 pm.

• Winter Solstice is not always the same day
  • Winter Solstice is the shortest day of the year for the Northern Hemisphere
  • Polar night occurs in the whole Arctic Circle

On Opposite Sides of the World: When the Northern Hemisphere is having its winter solstice, the Southern Hemisphere is having its summer solstice and starting its summer season. And then the other way around six months later.

Comparing Calendars: The winter solstice, around December 21 or 22, is the beginning of astronomical winter, while December 1 is traditionally the beginning of meteorological winter, which is based on general weather patterns instead of astronomy.

Night and Day: The winter solstice is the longest night and shortest day of the year in terms of daylight. Approaching the winter solstice, daylight becomes shorter. As the winter solstice passes, daylight becomes longer.

Blink and You Miss: While often described as a day, the actual winter solstice is technically only a brief moment when the northern half of the Earth is tilted as far away from the sun as possible, but nothing stops moving.

Just the Start or Halfway There: Some cultures consider the winter solstice the start of winter, while others the midway point of the season.

Balancing Out: Equinoxes in the spring and fall mark the halfway point between winter and summer solstices. The length of sunlight and darkness are almost equal on days of the equinoxes.

What is the spiritual meaning of winter solstice? Winter Solstice reminds us to honor taking time to slow down, and release what is no longer serving us, to recharge and inspire innovation for tomorrow.

Sources:

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/holidays/winter-solstice-facts.htm

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/naturalphenomena/winter-solstice.htm#:~:text=Winter%20Solstice%20At%20a%20Glance,-On%20Opposite%20Sides&text=Night%20and%20Day%3A%20The%20winter,solstice%20passes%2C%20daylight%20becomes%20longer.